Monday, June 8, 2009

So I Forgot...

Ok, so I forgot to say what I decided to try and start doing about my weight, at least for now. I've joined an online exercise video on demand site, Workouts On Demand. I like it a lot right now, and it's MUCH cheaper than buying videos on DVD. I've got access to a lot of different types of workout videos, I can download them to my computer so I don't have to worry about connection issues, and the instructors don't seem overwhelmingly perky and annoying, which is a plus.

I used to do step aerobics back when I was younger and thinner, and I LOVE it. I think it's my favorite type of workout to do. Of course, right now I don't have a step, and even if I did, I don't know that I'm in good enough shape to even handle the 4 inch step. But, I'm getting geared up for a step (when I can afford one) by doing the step video on the floor. It's at the right level for me in my out of shape state, and when it gets too easy I'll know it's time to add in the step. And it's FUN!

I'm going to start to watch what I'm eating too, but I am NOT going on a "diet". Diets don't work...they seem like they will, and then they always fail, because I can't stick with them. But I can make good choices about what to eat, and I can lessen the amount in my portions. I can choose not to eat just because I'm stressed out, or unhappy, or tired, or bored, etc., etc. But I'm not going to starve myself, or eat foods that I hate, or radically change my diet so much that I can't stick with it. I'm just going to try to be more mindful about what I'm eating, and work to make good choices when I do eat. I'm going to change what I know I have the power to change, and trust God to change those things which are out of my control. Because at this point that's all I can do.

So, I'll update periodically about how I'm doing, and probably say whether I exercised or not. I'll even post where I'm starting at, as soon as I get a chance to weigh myself and see where that is. In any case, I exercised for 20 minutes today doing a simple step aerobics video, so I've taken one step on my journey.

No comments: